Human beings will be happier - not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That's my utopia.
Unfortunately, we the people appear to be willing partners in this race. In the rich countries, with 20% of the world's population, today's opulent life is pursued with little regard for tomorrow, let alone what this does to the other 80% of the world's people and the environment. Almost everyone wants to be rich and the quicker the better. This seems to be a universal human trait. Although repeated over and over again through the past 4,000 years, we have failed to learn the lessons from the "Tragedy of the Commons" If too many of us take too much, too fast, the commons we all depend upon will collapse. [ read more ]